A handful of industry sectors are critical to Cortland County’s potential for growth and prosperity, and the county’s economic development team has targeted those industries as it seeks to keep and recruit jobs to the area. Those target industries include:
- Manufacturing, the backbone of of the local economy that capitalizes on the county’s hardworking, educated workforce;
- Distribution,which relies on the county’s central location and easy access to major highway and rail infrastructure;
- Research and Development, which can access the surplus of technical and research expertise at nearby Cornell University, Syracuse University, and a host of other top regional two- and four-year institutions;
- Agriculture, a sector with a strong local tradition and influence and one poised for continued growth and development; and
- Tourism, a critical component of the Cortland County economy that could see even more growth with the addition of more sporting events to the local tourism destination menu.