Cortland County’s central location is complemented by easy access to nearby airports, railways, and major highways.
Highway Distance From Cortland
|Major City||Distance (miles)|
|New York City||175 miles|
- Easy connections to I-90, I-88 and NYS Route 17.
- I-81 connects the County to both the Canadian border and Virginia as well as the New York State Thruway
- US 11, I-81 and NYS Route 281 run north-south through Cortland County
- NYS Route 13 runs northeast-southwest through Cortland County
The Cortland County Airport, with a 3,400 ft. paved and lit runway, is designed for private planes and limited commercial flights, A&E, and charter service
If the Cortland County Airport isn’t sufficient, three major airports are nearby:
- Hancock International Airport, Syracuse NY – 35 miles north
- Broome County Airport, Binghamton, NY – 35 miles south
- Tompkins County Airport, Ithaca, NY – 15 miles west
The Delaware and Otsego Corporation interchanges with three Class 1 shippers: CSX, NS, and the D&H. New York Susquehanna & Western Railroad happens to be business development partners with the CCBDC, so there will be many improvements to Cortland County’s rail service.
For companies not positioned on the rail lines, there is a cooperative truck transfer in the City of Cortland that allows those companies to take advantage of the railroads.