Cortland County prides itself on a first-class public education system, spending more per student than the national average and producing more high school and college graduates than the national average.
From primary schools to colleges, there are many opportunities in Cortland County for a great education.
Comparative Educational Attainment Rates
|Type of Schooling||Cortland County, NY||New York||United States|
|High School Grads||84.08%||82.91%||80.61%|
|2-year College Grads||11.56%||10.95%||7.70%|
|4-year College Grads||14.68%||10.69%||17.88%|
Source: Sperlings Best Places
Colleges & Universities
Education is vital to the workers of a particular county, and there are plenty of opportunities for learning located in or around Cortland County.
In addition to the State University of New York College at Cortland, there are several higher education institutions within 30 miles of the county seat, including:
- Cornell University, a global leader in higher education
- Syracuse University, another top four-year research university that has national standing
- Binghamton University, a top value “New Ivy” institution that is leading breakthrough studies in the biotechnology and life sciences, software engineering and integrated electronics fields
- Tompkins Cortland Community College, one of the SUNY system’s leading two-year institutions and a primary “feder school” to Cornell and other major four-year institutions
- Ithaca College, named among the best colleges in the nation by US News & World Reports every year since 1996, was ranked 6th in 2016.
- LeMoyne College, this college is the second-youngest of the 28 Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States, is located in Syracuse, New York. Their are 3,500 undergraduate and graduate students enrolled.
- Onondaga Community College, accredited two-year education institution that serves a variety of courses to the Onondaga and surrounding counties.
- SUNY Broome – Two-year college in Broome County offers a variety of classes to students than plan on finishing their two-year degree or hope to transfer to a four-year college.
There are over 40 colleges, universities, and vocational colleges within 50 miles of Cortland County, so a great education is never too far away.
Primary & Secondary Schools
Cortland County is home to five public school districts, totaling over 6,500 students.
Primary and Secondary Schools in Cortland County
Source: National Center for Education Statistics, March 2017 – Based on 2015-2016